KÃ¶tzschau is a village and a former municipality in the district Saalekreis, in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. Today, it is a part of Leuna. KÃ¶tzschau is situated approximately 11 km southeast of Merseburg and has a population close to 2,000.
KÃ¶tzschau is located to the extreme southeast of the municipality of Leuna, and to the east of Saalekreis district and of Saxony-Anhalt. It borders directly on MarkranstÃ¤dt, Saxony. The Saale passes to the west. The brook flows from the southeast to the northwest through KÃ¶tzschau. At Schladebach, it is dammed to form the Speicher Schladebach.
KÃ¶tzschau consists of the Ortsteile KÃ¶tzschau, , , and .
KÃ¶tzschau had its first documentary mention in 1205 (Schladebach 1012, ThalschÃ¼tz 1225, Witzschersdorf 1285, Rampitz 1479). For several centuries, KÃ¶tzschau was notable mainly for the presence of a local brine spring and the use of a Saline (which in German refers to a structure employed in the boiling of brine, not to salt evaporation ponds). These were first described in the early 14th century. In 1347, during the war between the Margrave of Meissen and the Archbishop of Magdeburg, , the Saline was burned down. It was subsequently rebuilt by the Elector of Saxony. In 1597, the was built, a canal linking KÃ¶tzschau to the Elster Mountains to facilitate the transport of wood needed in the production of salt. The Saline was again destroyed in the Thirty Years' War but rebuilt in 1697. In 1706/7, KÃ¶tzschau was occupied by Swedish troops during the Great Northern War and the school/rectory became the main store of animal feed for the whole army. Not far away, the Treaties of AltranstÃ¤dt were signed in 1706 and 1707. With the coming of the Industrial Revolution, as part of the region of Mitteldeutschland, KÃ¶tzschau was located in a centre of industrial activity. In 1798, the first steam engine of the Electorate was set up in KÃ¶tzschau, to pump up the brine. In 1856, the train station was built as a stop on the new railway line Erfurt-Leipzig. In 1861, the Saline was closed, all buildings were demolished. From 1857 to 1917, lignite was mined between Rampitz and ThalschÃ¼tz. In 1886, Schladebach made international headlines as the location of the deepest-ever drilling (1,748 metres, a record that lasted until 1893). In 1892, lignite works and a lime kiln were set up. In 1930/1, the lime kiln was converted into an iron works, producing metal containers and ovens. On 5 April 1945, the Witzschersdorf late Baroque Rittergut (manor) was destroyed by Allied bombing and not rebuilt. On 1 July 1950, the GroÃŸgemeinde KÃ¶tzschau was created by merging Rampitz, Schladebach, ThalschÃ¼tz and Witzschersdorf to KÃ¶tzschau. From 2006 to 2009, KÃ¶tzschau was a member of the municipal association Leuna-KÃ¶tzschau. Since 31 December 2009/1 January 2010, the village has been a part of the municipality Leuna.
- railway museum in the old station
KÃ¶tzschau has a stop on the Leipzigâ€“GroÃŸkorbetha railway. The Bundesautobahn 9 passes through the KÃ¶tzschau territory (south)east of Rampitz. The closest interchange is Bad DÃ¼rrenberg.