Llanrug (or Llanfihangel-yn-y-grug) is a large village and community in Gwynedd, north-west Wales. It lies about to the east of Caernarfon, south of Bangor and northwest of Llanberis. It is the largest populated village in the Arfon area of Gwynedd, Wales. The old name of the village was Llanfihangel-y-Rug, derived from Eglwys Sant Mihangel situated about half a mile west of the village. It has a Welsh-speaking community of approximately 88%, the highest in Wales and a population of 2,911. The busy A4086 road from Llanberis Pass to Caernarfon runs through the village. The community includes the villages of Cwm-y-glo, Ceunant, and Pont-rug. The Pontrhythallt area of Llanrug was the site of the disused Pontrhythallt railway station that had its rails finally removed in 1965.http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p/pontrhythallt/index.shtml The Penbont Inn public house, situated at the stone road bridge that crosses the Afon Rhythallt River was named the Railway Inn until the railway was closed in the 1960s.http://www.pubscymru.co.uk/cy/find-a-pub/gwynedd/penbont-inn-llanrug
The village has many public footpaths all of which have views of Snowdonia including The Carneddau, Glyderau and the north-western flank of Snowdon Massif. The River Seiont which rises near Llanberis flows westwards to the north of the village before flowing out to Caernarfon Bay and is a popular angling river. The river includes a fish hatchery just outside the village run by the local Seiont, Gwyrfai and Llyfni fishing associations.
There is a primary school, Ysgol Gynradd Llanrug, with around 400 pupils aged between 4-11, and a secondary school called Ysgol Brynrefail with around 800 pupils aged between 11-18. The school serves Llanrug and other surrounding villages including Llanberis, Penisarwaun, Waunfawr, Deiniolen and Bethel.
An electoral ward in the same name exists. This does not cover all the area of the community and the resultant population taken at the 2011 census was 1,916 only.
The village has two pubs and a hotel, located to the west, called Seiont Manor. A holiday park is to the south of the village, Brynteg Holiday Park, owned by Park Leisure Group. Bus services to Llanrug are provided by 88 Gwynfor Coaches service route. The Company depot is situated in the town of Llangefni, Anglesey. The church of St Michael is a Grade II* listed building. Bryn Bras Castle is a Grade II* listed country house located on the old road between Llanrug and Llanberis.
The village includes a football club, Llanrug United F.C., established in 1922. Since the late 1960s the club have hosted their home games in Cae Eithin Duon, situated to the east of the village. It was in this village that many scenes of the popular Welsh comedy programme C'mon Midffild were filmed during the 1980s and 1990s.
Along with the surrounding area of Snowdonia, the village has wetter and slightly cooler weather than lower areas of North-west Wales, this includes nearby areas such as Caernarfon and Anglesey. The annual mean temperature of Llanrug is 11 °C (52 °F). . The village's snowiest and coldest month of the year is January, with the mean temperature between 1 °C (32 °F) and 5 °C (40 °F). Ground frost can occur from late November into early April. Snow falls from early December into early April. Due to an altitude of 120 metres and close proximity to mountains of Snowdonia, the village normally expects snow to fall at an average of up to 10 days every winter season. During the summer, June and July are typically the warmest months with average temperatures ranging from 16 °C (68 °F) to 21 °C (72 °F).
Rhun Williams - Rugby Player, raised in Llanrug, currently playing as a full back for the Cardiff Blues Region in the Guinness Pro14.http://www.rugbyworld.com/in-the-mag/hotshots/hotshot-cardiff-blues-full-back-rhun-williams-76234 Hugh Rowlands - General Sir Hugh Rowlands VC KCB DL (6 May 1828 – 1 August 1909) was a Welsh recipient of the Victoria Cross.http://www.vconline.org.uk/sir-hugh-rowlands-vc/4588105633
www.geograph.co.uk : photos of Llanrug and surrounding area